Choosing A Memory Care Provider – Tips and Considerations
If you are considering memory care or a change in memory care providers, there are important elements to consider before making your decision. What do you need to know and what questions should you ask? We’ve developed a list to help you know what to look for in a provider before making such an important decision.
First, honestly assess your loved one’s needs. Answers to these questions will help guide your search and help you ask the right questions of potential providers.
- Does your loved one require supervision 24/7?
- What is your loved one’s mobility level?
- Is eating assistance required?
- Does your loved one have incontinence or other toileting issues?
- Does your loved one have a tendency to wander or seek exits?
- Are there any aggression or other behavior issues to be considered?
- Are there ongoing medical treatments that will need to be addressed?
When you communicate with memory care providers, ask them the following questions:
- How is your staff trained?
- What is the ratio of staff to residents? During the day? At night?
- Is there a nurse on duty 24-hours per day?
- How is the community secured?
- What medical services, physical and occupational therapies are available to residents?
- Is there a visiting physician?
- How do you communicate with families?
- What specialized memory care treatment do you provide? For example, reminiscence therapy? Art therapy? Music therapy? Pet therapy?
- Are residents grouped by cognitive ability?
- Do residents have outdoor access?
It is also important to trust your own feelings. Do you feel welcomed and secure? Do the surroundings feel homelike? Does the staff seem friendly and competent? A tour can provide invaluable insights about fit and atmosphere.
Parc Provence is a leader is memory care. Our exceptional staff is dedicated to providing the highest quality in services to our residents. If you are considering memory care for a loved one, we invite you to contact us today. We would love to take you on a tour of our community, and show you how our secure, supportive lifestyle maintains the look and feel of home. Our community of well-being has established a new and better standard for quality memory care programs. Come see us today.